Health and wellbeing



Accidents at school

In this school children are brought to the Administration Block for treatment when an accident occurs.

The following procedures apply where accidents occur:

  1. Minor cuts, bruises, abrasions are treated.
  2. In the case of a more serious accident:
    1. First Aid is rendered
    2. Parents are contacted and medical aid arranged
    3. In some serious cases the ambulance is called immediately and parents then notified
    4. A register is kept of such accidents.

It is important for the school to hold on its record any specific instructions parents and caregivers might have regarding emergency procedure in case of accidents.

NB. In case of emergency, please ensure that your telephone contacts lodged with the school are current.


If a child becomes ill at school, every effort is made to contact the parents or caregivers so that arrangements can be made to have the child taken home. Children who feel ill should not leave the school grounds without permission. Children who are unwell need to be escorted home by a parent or caregiver. As we must be able to account for each pupil at all times we do not allow sick children to find their own way home as their condition could very easily worsen before adult supervision is provided. Please ensure the office is informed of your current contact numbers. 

Medication – Administration to pupils

If children require medication at school, a doctor's certification with relevant instructions must be supplied.  From time to time the school is asked by parents and caregivers to administer medication to students. The Department of Education has strict guidelines that govern teachers regarding the administering of medication. The following policy requirements must be followed: 

  1. 'Should medication prescribed by the student's medical practitioner be required to be administered while the student is at school or involved in school approved activities, a parent/legal guardian must, in the first instance, make a written request to the principal of the school.' - This is kept in a register at the office after being sighted by the classroom teacher. Teachers are required to keep a record of any medication administered to children.  Please help us by ensuring that you adhere to these guidelines. 
  2. A teacher or other adult person on the school staff authorised by the principal to give medication to a student, may give oral medication, provided it is given strictly in accordance with instructions written on the medication container by the pharmacist at the medical practitioner's direction and is requested by a parent/legal guardian in writing. 
  3. Where a teacher or other adult person on the school staff authorised by the principal to give medication to a student, is to administer medication, the instructions provided should be written on the medication container by the pharmacist at the medical practitioner's direction.  The teacher or other authorised person should not accept the instructions solely of the parent/legal guardian. The instructions on the medication container need to indicate specific times at which medication is to be administered, as well as the quantity of medication to be administered.
  4. Children may keep asthma sprays with them provided the teacher has a written request from parents. This information should be provided via the office so an official record is kept. 
  5. Non-prescribed oral medications such as analgesics and over-the-counter medications can not be administered by teachers or other persons on the school staff unless the bottle or container has a pharmacist’s label detailing the child’s name, dosage and frequency for administration.

If child requires medication a note accompanying the medication must be provided. This notification is kept in the medication register held in the office and is sighted before medication is administered. ​​Please refer to our Administration of medication at school document library for the application form.

Head lice

From time to time cases of head lice are reported to the school. As anyone can be easily infected, parents and caregivers are asked to be vigilant by periodically checking their child’s hair. If head lice are found, then immediate attention is required to prevent them from spreading. Various lotions and shampoos are available from chemists for the treatment of this problem.    

Information regarding appropriate treatment is available from the office. Notes to alert parents of head lice outbreaks are routinely sent home to all class members when necessary. Notifications may also appear in the Creek Weekly. 

What happens if your child gets head lice? 

Don't panic – Most children have head lice at some time in their school life. Begin treatment immediately and check for effectiveness. (For more information see the "Managing Head Lice at Home" package available on the Queensland Health Website). 

Send your child back to school as soon as effective treatment has commenced. Your child is not a risk to others as long as treatment has commenced. 

School dental clinic 

​The School Dental Service, which is conducted by the Department of Health, provides without charge, regular dental care to all children of primary school age within Queensland. Treatment may be provided, dependent upon the particular dental situation involved, either by Dentists or School Dental Therapists working under the general direction and control of dentists. Treatment can only be provided after written parental consent has been given on the issued form.  Specialist treatment is not provided, but if it is considered necessary, parents will be advised so that they may seek specialist treatment privately or at a Dental Hospital or Clinic according to their means. The number of children receiving treatment varies with each grade from 70% to 90%. Further information can be obtained by telephoning the Clinic on (07) 3264 6217 or 1300 365 997. 

​*Please note the Clinic is currently closed. 

Last reviewed 07 April 2022
Last updated 07 April 2022